So many thoughts
by Sarah Luna
- Is there such a thing as too much humility? How often is it ok to feel stupid in my studies and my research? My ignorance is infinite.
- Because of Theories, I’ve moved from being a strict rationalist to more of a constructionist. I’m sure I’ll write more about this.
- My motivation is proportional to the temperature. I have a daunting list of tasks to accomplish and have done frighteningly little. This does not bode well for the next two weeks.
- I’m in a bubble. I have no idea what’s going on in the world. I called Lara, and she told me about the recent scandal with Wikileaks. Drew wrote his thoughts about it, too. I hadn’t even heard of it. As all-encompassing as my research is, there’s a bigger world out there that I at least need to be aware of.
- The world does not revolve around me. Normally, people have to be told this for ego-deflation purposes. I use it as encouragement. The world will not end if I don’t get an A (or B) in statistics. The world will not end if don’t know what my research goals are yet. The world will not end if I look like a chicken when I jive–which I do. (and now I’m getting post-modern…I really need to write about Theories)
- God answers specific prayers. I can think of two that were answered since Tuesday. And not just like, oh, this could relate to what I was looking for. No. I mean the exact words I used. One was a conversation (and promise of a future conversation). And one was an email.
- It’s really dry here. I didn’t realize I was dehydrated until I danced for two hours without breaking a sweat. I wouldn’t have noticed either except for the fact that both my partners were sweaty. Granted, boys regulate body temperature differently from girls. They’re more likely to get rid of excess heat via convection, whereas my body will mainly use radiation. But still. After an hour of Viennese waltz and an hour of Standard practice, I should have been sweating. Drinking more water now.
- I’m sitting in my last class of the semester right now. But I’m not mentally there.
- Columbia tomorrow.